When it comes to heating your space with the exceptional qualities of redgum firewood, proper storage is key to maintaining its longevity and ensuring optimal burning efficiency. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to store redgum firewood effectively:
1. Choose the Right Location: Select a well-ventilated and dry location for storing your redgum firewood. Ideally, an outdoor covered area, like a woodshed or a purpose-built firewood storage rack, can protect the wood from rain and snow while allowing air circulation.
2. Elevate the Firewood: Keep your redgum firewood elevated off the ground to prevent moisture absorption. Use pallets or a raised storage rack to create a barrier between the wood and the ground, reducing the risk of rot and mold.
3. Arrange in a Proper Stack: Stack your redgum firewood in a crisscross or log cabin style to encourage air circulation between the pieces. This helps in drying the wood and prevents the growth of mold and fungi. Ensure the stack is stable to prevent collapse.
4. Face the Cut Ends Outward: Place the cut ends of the redgum firewood facing outward in the stack. This allows the exposed surfaces to dry more efficiently, reducing the overall moisture content and ensuring a cleaner burn when it’s time to use the wood.
5. Cover the Top, Not the Sides: While it’s crucial to cover the top of the firewood stack with a tarp or firewood cover to protect it from rain and snow, avoid covering the sides entirely. Allowing the sides to remain open promotes air circulation, aiding in the seasoning process.
6. Allow for Seasoning Time: Redgum firewood benefits from a seasoning period, where it’s left to dry for at least six months to a year before use. This process reduces moisture content, making the wood easier to ignite and burn more efficiently.
7. Regularly Rotate the Stock: To ensure even drying, periodically rotate the firewood stack. Move older pieces to the front for use, and place newer pieces at the back. This practice helps maintain a consistent level of dryness throughout the entire stack.
By following these storage guidelines, you’ll maximize the benefits of your redgum firewood, ensuring a reliable and efficient source of heat for your indoor fireplace or outdoor gathering. Master the art of storing redgum firewood, and elevate your fire experience to new levels of warmth and ambiance.